In some cases, Symptoms of temporomandibular joint disorders (TMD) can go away on their own after some weeks even without treatment. However, persistent pain or discomfort can significantly affect your life. In this case, it’s important to consult a dentist to better manage the symptoms or know for sure if it requires treatment.
How could TMD symptoms be relieved?
The pain or discomfort can go away after some weeks. But to somehow reduce the discomfort and relieve the symptoms, you can do the following:
- Eating soft food
- Avoiding chewing gum
- Cutting all food into small pieces
- Avoiding clenching your jaw
- Avoiding opening your mouth wide
- Carrying out jaw-strengthening exercises
- Applying relaxation techniques to relieve stress
- Wearing a mouthguard while you sleep to prevent jaw clenching or teeth grinding